The Desert Gold Diggers is a non-profit prospecting club based in Tucson, Arizona and devoted to all aspects of small scale prospecting and mining, including panning, sluicing, drywashing, and metal detecting. In addition to promoting small scale prospecting, the club exchanges ideas and information on the various aspects of prospecting & mining. We have over 500 members as of April 2014.
The club currently has claims in southeastern Arizona. These are located in several gold producing areas including the Greaterville, Arivaca, Oro Blanco (Ruby), Las Guijas, Old Hat (Oracle) and Banner (Pinal County) mining districts. The club is constantly evaluating and adding additional claims. New members are entitled to one set of claim maps showing the claim locations with directions and road conditions. Warning – In order to enjoy our claims safely, please keep in mind that these are all old mining areas and could contain unmarked mining shafts. Our sun can be pretty brutal in the summer so make sure to take plenty of drinking water, wear a hat, use sunscreen and always let someone know where you are going and when you will return. Stay away from the wildlife and watch out for poisonous reptiles. Please, fill in your holes.
Monthly meetings are held at 6:00 p.m. on the first Tuesday of the month at the Ellie Towne/Flowing Wells Community Center, 1660 Ruthrauff Road, Tucson Az. Average attendance for both members and guests is around 140 people. To learn more about our monthly membership meetings visit the meetings page. Print out and bring the following coupon to your first visit to the monthly meeting and get a free raffle ticket to our monthly nugget drawing. This is limited to one time only per person.
The second Tues of each month @ 6:00pm we have our Lady Auxiliary meeting @ Ellie Towne/Flowing Wells Community Center. All female members in good standings with the club are welcome to join us. We meet only August thru April.
Our monthly board meetings are on the third Tuesday of each month @ Best Western Plus Royal Sun Inn & Suites 1015 N Stone Ave., Tucson, AZ 85705 @ 7:00pm. All members are welcome to join us.
Every month, on the weekend following the monthly membership meeting, the club has a club outing to one of the club’s gold claims. All interested persons meet at a pre designated time and place (announced in the Gazette and on this web site) that is easily located and accessible by all vehicles. This allows anyone without an on off-road vehicle to obtain a ride with someone else or those unfamiliar with the claim location to simply follow the convoy.
Another benefit of joining the club is the Bi-monthly newsletter, the Desert Gold Diggers Gazette, which is sent to all current members. This includes information on the most recent outings, monthly speakers, mining related articles, current road conditions and closures, announcements of upcoming events, raffle winners, finds of the month and much more. Much of this information is only touched upon in this web site. It also contains articles that cannot be put on the web site due to copyright restrictions.
This area will be used for important announcements, especially time critical items such as last minute changes in meetings or outings. These items will only remain here while timely. Dates indicate date of update.
For more information about the club and gold prospecting please browse the remainder of our web site.
- Announcements is a section on the present page devoted to important and timely information as well as a brief overview of recent additions or changes to the web site.
- About Tucson DGD provides a more in-depth look at the club with historical background.
- Club Organization introduces club officers, board members, committees and meeting times and places.
- Monthly Membership Meetings includes a closer look at the monthly membership meetings and what takes place.
- Membership Information page contains new member info and an online application which can be printed and mailed.
- Calendar of Upcoming Events lists club meetings, outings and other events for the upcoming months.
- Prospecting Equipment, showing the variety of equipment used by club members, equipment plans, tips and additional links.
- Photo Gallery of meetings, outings, parties and picnics.